Built in 1940, one of New York’s respected prewar architects, George Pelham Jr., designed this handsome building. It was originally an apartment building but was converted to a co-op in 1972. It features 120 one and two bedroom apartments, although some have been combined to make large residences. The rooftop garden affords great views of many of New York’s landmarks.
George Frederick Pelham
The son of the architect behind Ottowa’s Dominion Parliament building, George Pelham’s career in New York design spanned 43 years and included apartments and offices across New York State. At the time of his death in 1937, Pelham was a founder of the upstate Wykagyl Country Club and was active in various hunting and fishing societies. A man of the country who built for the city.